These five locks were part of the Miami and Erie Canal, which opened for navigation in 1845, and connected Cincinnati and the Ohio River to Toledo and Lake Erie. For several decades, the canal provided western Ohio with valuable transportation and waterpower, until railroads rendered the canal obsolete. Though inoperable, the locks have been maintained as a vestige of the canal system and an important example of civil engineering in the 19th century. The site is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
State funds totaling $654,000 were used to perform engineering work in preparation for the restoration of Lock One and contribute to the restoration. A 2012 appropriation of $284,000 will be used to provide the remainder of the match needed for a $1.9 million federal transportation enhancement grant received through the Ohio Department of Transportation for restoration of Lock One. Work is expected to be completed in 2013.
Village of Lockington